Team Spotlight – Ralph Dimmitt

Redmond School District Bus Driver Ralph Dimmitt
Ralph has been a bus driver for the Redmond School District for two years, first starting as a substitute driver and eventually becoming a full-time driver.

What does your job entail?
The straightforward part of the job is safely transporting kids from point A to point B on time. The job is more than just transportation, though. I’m often the first and last face representing the school district that these kids see every day. I make sure to greet them by name if possible and everyone gets a “good morning” and a “good afternoon.”  We drive buses, maintain and clean them, but having a positive impact on the kids is the best part of the job.

What did you do before working for the district?
I was a commercial truck driver for 38 years, mostly out of Klamath Falls, Oregon. My wife and I also ran an adult foster care facility down there. I’ve been retired from trucking for six years. Possessing a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) and knowing my way around large automobiles made driving bus a fairly seamless transition.

What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about your role?
I really enjoy working with a great group of team members. I’ve recently received some kudos for doings things considered “above and beyond,” but all of the drivers here would do the same thing. It’s having that sort of trust and knowledge that we’re all working toward the same goal and pitch in when necessary that makes coming to work so gratifying.

rsd_9231
More About Ralph
Ralph used to hunt but now spends much of his spare time fishing and camping and visiting with his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

They said
“I’m an EA over at RELC. I work the bus drop-off line in the morning and bus pickup in the afternoon. I just wanted to take a minute to thank you for having some excellent drivers – especially Ralph. He regularly goes above and beyond to make sure our young students have everything they need at the beginning and end of their school day. Yesterday he drove his personal vehicle to the school to deliver a forgotten lunch – AWESOME! And today he remembered that a student rode in the morning, but was missing in the afternoon. We checked and she had left early. I really appreciate knowing that Ralph is on the job and is watching out for our students as much or more than we are. You and your team are the best!”

Zac Detweiler

“Ralph is a gem and a joy to have on our team. He is funny, kind and compassionate and truly cares about the well-being and safety of the children that he transports.

I have witnessed this riding his route with him. He know the kid’s names, greets them and talks to them with respect. Ralph is a blessing and I am proud to work with such a great caliber individual.”

-Transportation Supervisor Michelle Rainville